Monday, January 19, 2009

Frozen Pipe and Working oven.

The drainpipe going from the bathtub must be frozen in the trap area. These -20C night time temperatures did it no doubt. We tried everything but no luck getting it freed up. Apparently the temperatures are to rise to +6 C tonight so with any luck the ice might melt. I don't hold out much hope though.

After waiting a month the men finally arrived this morning to fix my oven. A friend tried to fix it in December after we bought a universal thermostat. It didn't work! Hence the call to the repair man, which if I'd had any sense I'd have done in the first place. First thing when they came through the door and saw the stove were words like, "Oh dear, oh dear," My, oh my, oh my" and "Now me darlin, who told you to buy this thermostat.", " Who put this on for you my love." Well, after explaining it all they went to work and in no time it was fixed. Apparently the thermostat that was sold to me, for about $100.00, wasn't for my stove and the guys said it's a wonder the house wasn't blown up and as the friend that tried to put it on the stove had to cut pieces off it to get it to fit, I couldn't bring it back to the store for a refund. So after all was said an done and they had put a proper thermostat on the bill was $230.00. Not much I could do but get it done...so baked macaroni and cheese for supper with a salad, lol.

My glorious Crows haven't been around for a while so I put out some dried cat food hoping to entice them. It worked! Some pictures of the beauties.



Lots of Juncos around now. I made up some of these onion bags filled with food.


11 comments:

tufan said...

Hi,very nice blog.

Anonymous said...

I have family in New Brunswick where the temps are Arctic as well. To say the least! I've been in England for nearly eight years now where Winters are so mild (tho you'd not know it to hear the natives complain!), I don't think I could do a proper Canuck winter again! Your photos are gorgeous! Do you snap professionallY?

Ali @ A Cosy Life

oldcrow61 said...

Tufan, thanks.
Ali, lol, no indeed I'm not a professional. Far from it, I only took up the camera a couple of years ago and still know little about it. I can't blame you for not wanting to spend another winter over this way. The older I get the less I like it.

The Quacks of Life said...

good news on the oven oc!!

Cicero Sings said...

Oh to finally have your oven back and then have to resort to bread and water to pay for it. How discouraging. You could have almost bought a new stove for repairs! A LONG time without an oven. Hope that drain starts flowing real soon ... things could get high!! LOL

If I put out an onion bag with seeds in it ... squirrel would eat through it in two seconds flat and there would be seeds everywhere and mostly for him!

Tricia Ryder said...

Really good news that your cooker's working OC - you must be so relieved. Don't know how you've managed for this long!

Like the crows on the ingenious feeder table!

Cindy said...

The 'photo' of me and the moose was put together as a surprise for me by my Swedish friend Arne using photoshop software, he's a whizzo with photographs. The garden in the photo is mine, and that's my face, but unfortunately the moose and the smartly attired body aren't!! Cute isn't it!!

oldcrow61 said...

Yes folks, it's great to have the oven back and the pipe freed itself of ice last night. How wonderful is that, lol
Cindy, that picture is amazing.

Amila Salgado said...

Good to see your glorious crows.
They look pretty neat than our ones.

Roses and Lilacs said...

Kind of scary learning your house might have blown up. Yikes! Glad you pipes thawed. I was a little worried about mine on that -25F night.
Marnie

Bimbimbie said...

Nice to see someone else feeds their crows/ravens too, they get such a bad press but I think they are beautiful and intelligent, obviously you do too*!*