Saturday, October 11, 2008

October

I've hurt my hip...yep! I expect it's from using the big shovel to dig up some of the bushes and lugging heavy stuff around the garden trying to prepare for winter. I've been trying to take it very easy this past few days and do little outside work, difficult for me as I want everything done yesterday. However, I think I'm ready to roll again....if I just don't over do things. I've insulated the hens greenhouse door and now have to do their hen house window. Got to make the girls comfortable over the winter. We took off the screen door and put up the storm door this morning. It's one of those old fashioned wooden ones my father made years ago and very heavy. With much muttering between the two of us we managed to get it put on.

I've been wanting to paint the kitchen ceiling for months. I've had the paint and brushes at the ready, but can't seem to make the effort. Then I realized that I needed a drop cloth to cover everything up so that's an excuse not to get at it until I buy one of those, lol.

The days have a chill to them now. I haven't seen any bees for a few days so I'm thinking their time is over for this year. The birds are eating loads of food from the feeders as well, particularly the black oil sunflower seeds. I expect they are loading up on it to help keep them warm these cold nights. I'm seeing a few more Juncos around as well. The fall blooming flowers are starting to look a wee bit raggedy around the edges so I don't expect they will last much longer.

I have been taking a few pictures. Nothing new and exciting I'm afraid. A few of the regulars.










9 comments:

Cicero Sings said...

Oooooh ... I hope that hip mends itself ... so many things to do before the cold winds blow! Our first REAL frost this morning ... -5.5.

I don't blame you for procrastinating on the paint job! Painting ... ugh! The smell .... double ugh!! And the ceiling yet ... neck breaking work ... arm wearying work ... really, you should wait until next spring now so you can open the windows to air the place out whilst doing the job!

oldcrow61 said...

Cicero, wish I could forget about it until spring but it's in bad need of doing.

Stewart said...

Get well soon OC, take it easy tomorrow ( or today, I'm not sure what our time differences are)...

My life in bergen said...

Hi.
Thanks for visiting and the nice comment.

I saw you found me trough "http://sas-richard.blogspot.com/" thats great, it's always nice with new visitors..

You have a nice blog going here. I'll be back to check you out later.

The Quacks of Life said...

lovely pics as always. love Blue Jays.

hope the hips gets better soon ((OC))

Tricia Ryder said...

Sorry to hear about your hip OC - fingers crossed it'll be mended soon.

Perhaps you'll have an excuse to avoid painting if the drop cloths are out of stock?

It's difficult to imagine (here in the UK) just how cold it's going to get over with you.

Good to see your regulars though :)

Anonymous said...

Oh Crow, poor thing! That must hurt awfully. Lots of get well hugs - hope you feel better soon.

I am almost ignorant about the birds you've got over there but I do recognise my favorites. S/he seem to be quite a character! LOL LOL LOL

About the painting, - find a few old bed linen and get started!!!!!LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Cindy said...

I always enjoy my visits to your blog. Lovely pix, as always. I do wish we still had squirrels visiting our garden :-( They stopped coming to our bird feeders after our neighbours had their trees cut down :-( I hope you're soon feeling much better ... xxx

Robbiegirl said...

I do love those blue jays!

Hope your hip's feeling better anyway. xxx