Monday, September 08, 2008

Very Wet Day!

After all the hoopla yesterday about Hanna hitting us, there wasn't much to it after all. I woke a couple of times during the night with the sound of heavy rain but nothing out of the ordinary. Got up this morning and opening the door I could hear the stream on one side of the property rushing wildly and the wind making the Aspen leaves sing. I took a few pictures but they don't really show how lovely it looks and how beautiful it sounds. It's in the woods part so one seems to become part of it all when leaning against one of the big trees. Puts one in a dreaming state.




Dragon rescue yesterday. R came in telling me there was a large dragonfly on the deck floor and it couldn't fly. Oh no, I thought, so I went out to have a look. It was shivering it's wings but indeed it couldn't fly but looked intact. I got a piece of cardboard and got him on that, then I put him on a hanging plant pot well off the ground with the sun hitting him. I guess he was simply trying to warm up because after a while he flew off. I was too worried at the time to think of getting a picture. I only see the odd one about now, I suppose because it's gotten cooler.

It's very damp inside today, because of all the rain bringing the humidity way up. I daresay I'll have to light the fire shortly. Not much happening these days. This morning I've been trying to sort things out that I've had in bags and boxes for years. Beading stuff, lots of extra miniature doll house furniture, letters and cards from people over the years, writing material, lol, I don't say I'll be hand writing many letters anymore now that I have a computer. It was something I enjoyed so much but now with email, well.........

That's about it!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, Crow. I almost wanted to make a wish for your pictures look like wish-fairies live in your little wood!

Glad to heard that you not got hit by the hurricane after all.

Actually, I think it is a bit sad that most of us don't write any (handwritten)letters anymore.

oldcrow61 said...

Carin, there really are fairies there. I agree about the letters, there's nothing like going to the mail box, getting a nice long letter and sitting back with a cup of tea to read it.

Cicero Sings said...

Mmmm ... your description of the stream ... makes one want to go there and hear it sing ... listen for fairy talk ... etc.

I do write, err type, snail mail letters still as I've folk that don't have computers that need communicating with! Letters are even nicer than phone calls cuz one can reread them and take them in slowly. Especially if one has a forgetting mind!

oldcrow61 said...

So true Cicero.

Tricia Ryder said...

Sounds like a magical wood to me OC.

One lucky dragonfly to have you looking out for him :)

Redzlan aka Tabib said...

I can see the wet, damp and humidity in all those pics.

Juli said...

I'm so glad the storms weren't to severe for you. The little stream in wonderful :)

Have you posted the Irish Soda Bread recipe ? I'll look thru and see if I can find it.

oldcrow61 said...

Juli, no, I never posted the soda bread recipe. Will put it on next blog. It's ridiculously easy and very tasty.

Amila Salgado said...

OC, That stream is the sort of thing that I 'd love to have beside my property. How lucky are you.

Good to hear about the dragon rescue. I too did rescue a Green Skimmer which inside the gym last week. I was able to capture it safely when it turned upside down. I got rid of the cobwebs that had glued on on to its wings and body and released it. You know what it bit me!n - It hardly felt anything. As you know dragonflies do not sting. It was very Koool!

oldcrow61 said...

Gallicissa, what a great story. I didn't know they could bite, lol.