Wednesday, August 20, 2008

We had a thunderstorm recently, something we don't experience very often. The rumbling of the heavens was awesome. I stood in the doorway looking up at the sky and realized that I had a big grin on my face. So energizing! We did have a bit of a cool spell but according to all reports the coming weekend the temperatures are suppose to be in the high 20's, and sunny. Can't ask for better than that.

Fall is no doubt not far away and I do enjoy that time of year. A scattered leaf here and there now turning colour. Yesterday I saw that two of the Angelica, the leaves, had turned yellow so cut them back. I should say sawed them down as the stems were so huge that no way would the clippers do the job. Had to get the bow saw and go to work on them.

This morning my mind is thinking of some of the things I have to do in the coming weeks. Cut back herbs and hang them to dry. The guest room will be blocked solid with them so will have to wait to make sure no guests are going to arrive. Have to re-do the plastic on the chickens greenhouse area before we start getting into winter. Been thinking of Yule and Christmas and may make gifts for friends and family this year. I've often done this over the years. I've made everything from jointed teddy bears, use to sell those, to dream catchers, to seasonal wreaths and more. Feeling in the mood at the moment but will be too busy for a while yet. Every year I make a hand made stocking for my parents and fill them with fun stuff. They always say how much fun they have going through them.

Grandson is flying into St. John's tonight. He only told his mother yesterday and she's over the moon. I'm excited myself though it's doubtful that I'll see him. He only has a week because he has to get back to prepare for university once again.

So, on to a few pictures. Found these two spiders. One has his dinner packaged up.



Squirrel still emptying feeders, lol.



An enormous amount of bees in the garden. People visiting are struck by how many there are.


A poppy, new to the garden this year.

5 comments:

Cicero Sings said...

"Over the Moon" ... D's Aunty Janet uses that expression. I'll have to remember it ... slip it in here and there!!

Beautiful poppy and of course, squirrels are fun no matter which way one looks at them.

Your orb weaver doesn't have the red legs ours does. Interesting.

Tricia Ryder said...

It sounds as though you're going to have your work cut out for you OC over the next few weeks :)

Sun and heat to come - oh how lovely!! I'm trying to remember what that feels like.

Love the poppy - quite unusual compared to the ones we see in the UK.

Mo said...

What kind of squirrel is it? cute.

oldcrow61 said...

Mo, we call them red squirrels here. Not the same as the red squirrel in Britain as far as I know. These are small and the only kind found on the island.

Amila Salgado said...

Wow that poppy photo is like a painting.