Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Bees and bugs

After several days of cooler temperatures and overcast rainy days, the sun came out. There were bees in great numbers. There was also a large dragonfly so I stood still waiting for it to land. It kept going around me until I was almost at the point of taking a video of it, then one of the chickens finishing a dust bath, shook herself and ran across the grass in my direction, scaring off the dragon. So, walked around to see what was on the go.

A Spider, I didn't realize it was so scary looking until I got up close and personnel.


A flutter of some sort, very small, will have to look it up.


Not at all sure of what this fellow is. Interesting markings though.


Bees, bees and bees.









Blessed thistle, a bees delight.

9 comments:

The Quacks of Life said...

love bees!!

Stewart said...

Hi OC, Over here the butterfly is called a Small Skipper...and the critter with stripes is a Hoverfly of sorts....?

Janine said...

That spider is freaky looking! Great vibrant colors on all, love the combo in the last shot.

Cicero Sings said...

Great bee pictures. I haven't had so much luck with them this year ... they buzz around so much they are always a blur!!!!!

Rainy is cooker and you gotta appreciate that ... we are in the midst of a mini heat wave. Ugh! We are at the coast and that only makes it worse.

Tricia Ryder said...

What great close ups OC and hose bees are wonderful :D Scary looking spider I agree!

oldcrow61 said...

Me too Pete.
BB, thanks for the info. I've been looking up skippers and didn't realize there were so many. In frustration I went to the beginning of chapter on them and read "Beginners are often driven to despair as it's a challenge to ID." I am, lol. Thanks also for the ID of the Hoverfly.
Cicero, I know what you mean, I'm just a few minutes walk from the Atlantic and on hot days the humidity can be brutal.
lol Janine, there was a bee on that flower but when I took the picture off, no bee, must have flown off before I snapped. I like the picture though.

Tattyanne said...

Lovely pictures OC. Aren't Bees the most loveliest of creatures. I love the way they kinda hug the flower. Karen

Jan said...

Super pics as always. I have taken some of bees too yesterday, will get round to posting them eventually I suppose.....

Cindy said...

Perfect photos of flowers, insects and the squirrel pix are superb, I'm soooo envious ... I wish we still had squirrels visiting the garden, but unfortunately they don't come any more since all the pines were cut down from all the other gardens on our road :-( Beautiful photos ... keep posting! xxx