Wednesday, October 24, 2007

October 24th., 2007

Here it is almost the end of October and woke up this morning to temperature of +13C. Can't ask for more than that, very mild for this time of year. Not much to report really. I've been in the garden most of this week. I finally got the gladioli bulbs out of the ground and have cut back a good number of plants. I still have more soil to mix up with good stuff and put around all the perennials. The old body is stiff and sore but what the heck. We had a good wind yesterday and the leaves were coming off the trees in drifts. The ground looks very pretty with all the autumn colours.

There is something living under the chicken house again. Always this time of year it seems. I go out in the morning to let chickens out and their food dish which is in their greenhouse area is emptied. It's times like this that I wish I had a web cam, then maybe I could see what it is. I suspect it's a rat or maybe mice. I read that if you put mint around the area it will deter them so cut a pile of the stuff and poked it around all over. Doesn't seem to be doing much good. I remember my neighbour use to keep his bags of dog food in his shed and would go out every morning to find mice in one of the buckets there. He would take the mice and some food, walk up in the woods, put the food down and let the mice go hoping that would be the end of it. Then next morning he would go through the same thing. The mice got quite use to him and weren't scared at all. I remember dropping in one morning and he came in with two or three mice in a bucket, on his way up in the woods again. It was so funny.

We decided to drive up to the causeway and look at the autumn colours then down to the beach. I remembered for once to take the camera.




Down by the beach.



5 comments:

Janine said...

Those photos of the autumn leaves are so cool. The leaves don't change color much down here. Looks like the hills are on fire.

nicola said...

cool photos, you sure do have a pretty area. Now you need to experiement with the horizon, think 1/3rd's

Jan said...

Beautiful photos, it looks a gorgeous place to live, you are very lucky (apart from when you have the snow....! )

ST said...

Reds, greens ,golds,
love autumn, but dislike winter.Well snow really but it's nice to look at.

oldcrow61 said...

Thanks all. Nic you will have to explain to me what you mean by l/3rds. I'm a bit slow when it comes to this camera stuff, lol.