Thursday, July 19, 2007

July 19th.

Yesterday it was a gorgeous day, sunny and hot. Last night friends dropped by and we sat on the deck having coffee. It was a perfect evening, it had cooled down with a lovely warm breeze blowing, all of us wishing this could go on forever. Lapses in conversation had us looking up at the sky sniffing the air. It was heaven! The forecast was for sun through the weekend but now it has changed to showers. With any luck it will change again. Was in the twilight zone of sleep last night when I was awakened by a series of gunshots. Don't know what that was about. Praying that someone wasn't shooting at some large animal.

Yesterday afternoon, just before supper, I was watering the garden for the third time that day when I saw a butterfly land on a flower. At least I think it was a butterfly, don't know much about flutters. I drop the hose and rush into the house for the camera repeating over and over in my mind "Don't go, don't go", as though through some mental process the creature could read my brain, lol. Rush back out and take a couple of shots then realize the camera is on the wrong setting. I'm panicking now for fear the butterfly will take off before I get the camera set the way I want it. I fear that I'm just a wee bit obsessed with getting these shots. I know people who fall in mud, crawl through tall grass on hands and knees and find them selves surrounded by cows to get shots of insects so guess my little scenario is pretty tame. It's all so funny in retrospect. Thankfully, I did get a few shots. If anyone knows what kind it is please let me know.




7 comments:

Jan said...

Aww it's gorgeous, never seen one like it before. Your description reminds me of someone I saw yesterday at the Wildlife Nature Reserve, I nearly laughed out loud, luckily I was in the car leaving and could smirk to myself. He looked like your typical obsessive "anorak" if you have that term there. He was dressed with a huge white sunhat with a brim (the sun wasn't out) wellies, camouflage clothes, and a massive butterfly net in one hand and a jar in the other. tee hee.

oldcrow61 said...

lol, that is so funny.

The Quacks of Life said...

nothing wrong in falling in mud. the cows though........

ST said...

What a beauty- This made me laugh. so did jan's post
I don't wear camouflage or a white sun hat or wellies . I have been seen carring a net (fishing), but when the madness develops it could be the gear to be seen in.

Mo said...

LOL - I can relate to that, having chased butterflies round the garden trying to get photos. You got some gorgeous photos.

oldcrow61 said...

st, re:camouflage gear...I don't think it will come to that..will it? lol.

ST said...

it's actually the fashion here, but i'm not a dedicated follower of fashion.