Wednesday, March 07, 2007

March 7th.




The weather has been marvelous, mild and sunny. I've been hearing more bird song and the squirrels have been chasing each other, it's either love or battle over territory. I walked down the road with my camera yesterday, hoping to go on the beach and get pictures of something even if it was only the scenery. Unfortunately the parking area had not been plowed and the snow bank was so high at the entrance that I couldn't get over it. I suppose that would have been a picture in itself, me sprawled over a snow bank. So, I kept walking up to the corner store, nothing to take a picture of...Nada! An hour later I was back home again and took the pictures above.

A few minutes ago, while I was sitting in the living room, I heard a loud bang as if something had hit the deck. I went rushing to look out the window in the door and there on the deck about two feet from the door was a hawk lying there with it's wings open. Thinking it was hurt, I rushed to get my boots and coat on and when I opened the door, the hawk was gone but there was a little Junco, not moving, where the hawk had been. I suspect the Junco was on the deck and the hawk came down, grabbed it, but when it saw me look out the door it took off without the bird. The only thing I could do was pick it up and see if it was ok. It seemed to be in shock with nothing broken. I put it in a safe place and kept an eye on it for about half and hour, when all of a sudden, off it flew. It made my day to see that it was alright. The hawk was quite handsome, grey I believe, and when the wings were opened they had stripes. Hmm....wonder what kind it was.

4 comments:

Boo said...

Blasted Hawk, playing possum! Serves him right if he went without breakfast, lunch, dinner and supper!

oldcrow61 said...

lol Boo. I googled the hawk and I'm pretty sure it was a "Chicken Hawk". Lovely looking bird though.

Jan said...

Oh wow, well done you, saving the little bird. I saved my tame hen blackbird here a couple of days ago. There was a lot of flapping and crashing going on in the holly by my living room window as I was topping up the bird feeder. Our popped my hen blackbird, and I said, sorry, I didn't mean to scare you. Carried on, filled the bird bath, and a sparrowhawk came out almost in my face and flew off empty in the other direction. It had been trying to get her, bloody thing. I was only a foot or so away from it then, and I guess it got scared, good job too. Mind you, it's had three chaffinches this week now, found the wings and a heap of feathers on consecutive days now. But they are the sick ones, so hopefully, it's mercy killing.

oldcrow61 said...

Wow, lucky you were there for the little blackbird Jan.